Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Flowing Ice

Flowing Ice
CORN07D-18
February 17, 2007

While traveling to various grad schools in the frigid winter of 2007, I got the chance to visit Cornell, which was a striking if strangely built school.  There are two gorges that span the campus, and the second one had this waterfall, completely frozen over.  I thought of the blueness of the ice, which you don't often see in just snowstorms or such, how the ice was draped over the rocks.  It was my first encounter with a frozen waterfall.  And now I know that they are climbed frequently, using crazy ice picks and axes to bite into the frozen water.  Pretty cool sport, I think.  Enjoy.


Technical notes:
Camera: Nikon D80
Lens: Nikon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5
Focal length:  90 mm
Exposure: 1/640 @ f/8, ISO 400
Post-processing: Cropped down with contrast and tone adjustment, sharpening in PS4 & LR1.4

No comments:

Post a Comment