Monday, April 23, 2012

White Over the Badlands

White Over the Badlands
SDAK09D-28
July 3, 2009


Still with the Badlands, seeing the little bit of road at the bottom center before this massive cloud structure.  I was amazed at how photogenic the Badlands were.  If you look back at this latest series, you'll see a lot of them were taken on July 3rd.  That is the day I arrived there, after driving for ~13 hours from Illinois (a very early wake up).  The landscape immediately seemed to open up for me, and I barely had to leave the road to find these high-contrast, jaw-dropping landscapes.  This one featured a great wall of striated rock, above which the summer thunderstorm which had drenched me on the drive to the park was lifting and clearing, leaving these fluffy white clouds the towered over the ground.  I felt that the scene worked better in black and white, given the high contrast of the area.  Enjoy.

Technical notes:
Camera: Nikon D80
Lens: NIkon 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6
Focal length:  38 mm
Exposure: 1/50 @ f/16  ISO 100
Post-processing: Minor tone adjusted with PS 4 and LR 1.4.

No comments:

Post a Comment