Monday, March 26, 2012

King of the Aquatic Jungle

King of the Aquatic Jungle
ATLA12D-212
March 18, 2012

I do like themed weeks; it gives some structure to the week, helps introduce topics, and allows me to sort through the 9000+ images held here.  So, with a look back to my recent visit to the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta with my fiancĂ©e Sarah, this is Aquarium Week 2012!  This lionfish was strutting his stuff across the tank (obviously, all of this week's images will be of captive animals.  Please keep that in mind, I didn't dive to get these images... yet), and apparently is quite the invasive species in the southeastern United States.  Despite finding him in a tank, they are quite incredible creatures to watch; I don't think I've seen so many fins on an fish.  And knowing that each of the spines on his dorsal fin and anal fins is basically a hypodermic needle with a powerful neurotoxin makes him seem a bit less cuddly.  Enjoy.

Technical notes:
Camera: Nikon D80
Lens: Nikon 50 mm f/1.4
Focal length:  50 mm
Exposure: 1/60 @ f/4   ISO 640
Post-processing: Minor tone adjusted with PS 4 and LR 1.4.

No comments:

Post a Comment