Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Story of Lichen

A Story of Lichen
ALAK11D-80
July 20, 2011

One of the greatest courses I have taken throughout my academic career, which has been extensive (much to my mixed feelings) was mycology.  In it, I learned about this world that I barely knew existed.  It was eye-opening, fascinating, intriguing.  Seeing this tangle along a branch in Alaska brought me back to that class, and got me thinking about how intricate simple, small compositions can really be.  This branch represents probably close to a half dozen distinct species, all living and working for and against each other in this small space.  It was so much diversity that it wouldn't even fit within the depth of field.

The branch, and its clear depiction of the species, bore a likeness to those old scientific pictures taken on expeditions to the wild interiors of continents across the globe.  Hence the tinting and monochrome nature of this image, trying to simply but clearly depict some of the wondrous aspects of nature that exist.


Technical notes:
Camera: Nikon D80
Lens: Nikon 105 f/2.8 micro
Focal length: 105 mm
Exposure: 1/500 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 400
Post-processing: Desaturation, toning, curves adjustment in PS4

No comments:

Post a Comment